Below you will find a list of terms and slogans which you may hear in a meeting
- Abstinence – when you hear members say that they are “abstinent” that means that they have
not, and are not, eating compulsively or engaging in compulsive food behaviors, including binge
eating, binging and purging, restricting food, etc.
- Sponsor – when we decided that the program was a good fit for us we chose to begin working
with a sponsor, a person who acts as a kind of mentor who guides us through the 12 Steps.
- Meetings – The meetings are a way to connect with other members, and get strength and
solutions during discussions on topics.
- HP, Higher Power, God – You will hear references to God or a Higher Power (HP) during
meetings. The 12 steps are spiritual in nature, but we are not affiliated with any religion. Among
our members are atheists, agnostics, Christians, Buddhists and everything in between!
- Serenity Prayer – God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to
change the things I can, and wisdom to know the difference.
- Anonymity – Within the Fellowship, anonymity means that whatever we share with another OA
member will be held in respect and confidence. What we hear at meetings should remain there.
Another aspect of anonymity is that we are all equal in the Fellowship, whether we are
newcomers or seasoned long-timers. And our outside status makes no difference in OA; we
have no stars or VIPs. We come together simply as compulsive overeaters.